My target for the year was to read 24 books at the rate of two per month. In June I bought a Kindle Fire and will be switching a lot of my reading over to Kindle books.
Later in the year I subscribed to Audible and am including Audible books on the list in a light grey font colour.
Even with Audible helping to bring up my “reading” score, 2018 was not one of my most prolific years for several reasons:
- I tended to play chess more than read Kindle books when I’m using my phone while travelling on public transport these days.
- Chess study: I’m going through the chess books on this list very slowly as I am attempting to study them and that takes a lot more time than simply reading through a book.
Books Read in 2018
Listed from the most recently read (1):
- Ryan Holiday & Stephen Hanselman, The Daily Stoic (Hardback. 2nd read through!)
- Frank Brady, Endgame: Bobby Fischer’s Remarkable Rise & Fall (Audible)
- Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha, Sex at Dawn (Audible)
- Mary Shelley, Frankenstein (Audible)
- Jordan Peterson, 12 Rules for Life (Audible)
- Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell, From Hell, a graphic novel (Kindle)
- Anne Applebaum, Gulag (Hardback)
- Phil Jones, Exactly What To Say (Audible)
- Arthur Koestler, Darkness at Noon (Folio)
- Sebastian Haffner, Defying Hitler (Hardback. 2nd reading. First read it c. 2003.)
- Aldous Huxley, Point, Counter Point (Kindle)
- Charlie Storey, The Sniper (Paperback)
- Kevin Kelly, The Inevitable (Paperback)
- Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes (Hardback)
- P. G. Wodehouse, The Luck Of The Bodkins (Hardback)
- Samuel Richardson, Clarissa (Hardback, HJU library edition, abridged)
- Pierre Ambroise François Choderlos de Laclos, Dangerous Liasons (Paperback)
- Plato (translated by Seth Benardete), Symposium (Paperback)